This article was written by a group of diamond buyers in West Palm Beach, Florida. Diamonds are the hardest mineral form of the element, carbon. A diamond can only be cut by another diamond. This hardness makes it very useful in the commercial industry. Diamonds can be set into tools (mostly synthetic or man-made diamonds) and used to cut metal. They are often used as a jewelry gem because of their pure brilliance and sheer strength. When buying a diamond, one should look at the clarity, color, and carat-weight to determine its worth.
Diamond buyers look at the clarity, a loose diamond will be affected by minute fractures or imperfection within the stone called “inclusions.” This creates a certain level of brightness and transparency. The external and internal characteristics of a stone will vary per stone and alter the diamond’s lucidity, making each stone as unique as the next. The Gemological Institute of America (GIA), grades diamond clarity using 10X magnification; the higher the magnification, the more valuable the stone.
West Palm Beach diamonds can become progressively rare as the magnification of the stone increases. According to The Gemological Institute of America (GIA), approximately 20% of all diamonds that are mined are rate high enough on the scale to be used a gem for the jewelry industry, and the remaining 80% is used for industrial usage.
For a diamond buyer to understand diamonds clarity is to understand its brilliance or ability to let light shine through. Most diamonds are created with various sides. The more facets to a diamond, the flaws become less obvious. A diamond with more than 58 triangular sides is more vivid and much brighter than normal cut diamonds where the light struggles more to get through.
As to the color, diamonds produced in nature have a natural yellowish color. For diamond buyers in West Palm Beach to determine a diamond’s color, it is compared to a master list of colors set by an international board. This color chart is based on nature’s consistency in producing the same colors over time. If it is determined that the loose diamond allows more light to shine through over a more colored diamond, it can be concluded that stone has a greater value than a more yellow colored diamond.
The GIA has developed a color rating structure for diamond color classification. This list ranges in letter from “D” to “Z”, with D being with no color and Z being a brighter yellow. In most cases, the D rated diamonds are most rare and are most sought-after on the market. Surprisingly, the Z rated diamonds with a brighter yellow color can also be very valuable.
Other diamond colors can vary between a yellow and brown hue. Sometimes, a slight pink coloration can be highly valuable as well. The more uncommon colors, like red, blue, green, and other hues, generate a more valued stone, since its irregularity is not often found.
Diamond buyers also look at the carat-weight, diamonds are measured according to “carat,” another valuable feature. This weight is pre-determined from a diamond scale. A “carat” is equal to 220 milligrams or 0.2 grams, and is divided into 100 points. A stone of 1.60 carat means it is 1 carat and 60 points. The weight and physical size of a diamond will vary per stone. Two diamonds may be the same size, but may have a different weight, therefore, have a different value. The price per carat would vary as the individual stone weight increases. It is very important to examine the carat weight along with the clarity and color.
There is a weekly printed list created by Martin Rapaport, the CEO of Rapaport Group of New York. This report standardizes a price point for different diamond clarities and weight. It is also considered as the baseline standard retail price for any loose diamonds being sold to the consumer. Assisting is the trade of diamonds between jewelers; this price list is often used for regulating discounts and values of the diamonds being sold.
The phrase, Total Carat Weight, is often used a total diamond mass or other jewelry piece, where more than one stone is used in the design. It can be used when referring to necklaces made of diamond stone or bracelets and related items.
Usually, the color and physical size are the first and most apparent details of a diamond trumping over the quality of the carat. But, when making such a valuable decision, it is best to be informed and knowledgeable.
Sometimes, when diamond buyers in West Palm Beach are comparing these valuable features in a loose stone, it may be necessary to sacrifice one category over another in order to get more diamond for your budget.
I hope this article helped to give you a basic understanding on how one compares one diamond to another. We will continue to add more and more interesting articles about diamonds and jewelry in the near future. If you have an article that you would care to submit for review, email the South Florida Chamber of Commerce.